Tiling in wet areas such as bathrooms and kitchens
Common issues and queries you can face
Step by step solution
• Check the existing substrate and scratch existing paint coatings to roughen the substrate if needed.
• Replace weakly bonded tiles with other tiles or fill the void with a suitable repair mortar, like weberep 331 TX or other repair product.
weberep 331 TX or other repair product.
Clean the substrate and remove traces of dust, oil and other contaminants.
• Rinse the substrate and let it dry
Waterproofing layer and tile adhesive
Tiling over sand bed:
Apply 2 layers of weberdry 210 AFC or weberdry gum, an acrylic waterproof membrane, between the concrete substrate and the sand bed. All corners should receive a band of plastic mesh or polyethylene between the 1st and 2nd layer of weberdry 210 AFC or weber band between the 1st and 2nd layer of weberdry gum. After 24 hours minimum, fix the tiles with webercol floor, a thick adhesive mortar applied above the sand bed.
webercol floor can be applied up to 40mm thickness.
Tiling over concrete/plaster:
• Cement-based system: Apply two coats of cementitious waterproofing membrane weberdry 130 PR with a band of polyethylene or plastic mesh embedded in the 1st coat. The application of weberdry 110 FX is recommended in all corners and junctions between walls and floors. Tile with webercol flex, webercol plus, max, fast or f1 and over cement plaster or concrete with tile with webercol WP, col K, col Bond, cerafix or webercol fix
• Apply the 1st layer of weberdry gum with sufficient thickness to plug pores, cracks, and holes. Allow to dry and apply the second layer if necessary. Wait 6 hours between a coat and another. All corners, cracks or construction joints should receive reinforcement by introducing weber band between the first and the second layer. Wait at least 24 hours after application of weberdry gum before tiling.The final thickness of the product must exceed 1mm in order to form a consistent, seamless and flexible membrane.
It is recommended to leave a minimum joint width of 2mm around the tiles. Grouting should be done at least 24 hours after fixing tiles, using weberjoint perfect, a high-performance grout with Hydro Repell® and Mould Stop® technologies or weberepoxy easy to avoid the creation of fungus and to reduce water absorption from the joints.